- June 8–”Black Chefs in the White House,” a fundraising event for Campbell Chapel A.M.E. Church, Denver, CO and the Colorado Black Health Collaborative. We will be joined by special guest and former White House Executive Chef Walter Scheib (1994-2005). RSVP here.
- Sept. 6-7–BOOKMARKS Festival of Books, Winston-Salem, N.C., book reading and book signing.
- Sept. 8–Quail Ridge Books, Raleigh, N.C., 3 p.m. book signing event.
- “Healthy Soul Food,” Jack and Jill–Denver Chapter, Denver, CO, April 6, 1:30 p.m.
- Soul Food,” World Awareness Day, Smoky Hill High School, Aurora, CO, March 28, 7:10 a.m.
- Scholars, Scribes and Storytellers,” Blair-Caldwell Public Library, Denver, CO, March 11, 2013, 6:30 p.m. http://denverlibrary.org/event/scribes-scholars-storytellers-series-2013.
- “Black Chefs in the White House,” Black History Month Presentation, Akin, Gump, Strauss, Haeur & Feld LLP, Feb. 25, 2012, Washington, D.C.
- “Soul Food,” African American Month Kickoff Celebration, USDA Food and Nutrition Service Mountain Plains Regional Office, Feb. 13, Denver.
- “The History of Chicken and Waffles,” Denver Eclectics, Jan. 30, 2012, Denver, CO.
- Community Cinema Screening and Panel Discussion of Soul Food Junkies, Rocky Mountain PBS, Jan. 20, 2012.
- “Black Chefs in the White House,” Inspiring Minds, Nov. 12, 2012, Denver, CO.
- “Home Cooking in the White House,” FosterSports annual fundraiser, Oct. 20, 2012, Denver, CO.
- Sister 2 Sister gathering, July 21, 2012, Broomfield, CO.
- Black Chefs in the White House Presentation, April 12, 2012, Democratic National Convention Speakers Series, Johnson & Wales University, Charlotte, NC.
- Black Chefs in the White House Presentation, March 1, 2012, The Virginia Club of New York, New York, NY.
- Coffee with the Authors, Campbell Chapel A.M.E. Church, Feb. 25, 2012, Denver, CO.
- Black Chefs in the White House Presentation, February 9, 2012, “Reality Bites” series, Yale Dining, Yale University, New Haven, CT.
- “Space Weather and Kool-Aid Pickles,” Mixed Tastes Lecture (with Craig DeForest), Denver Museum of Contemporary Art, Feb. 3, 2012, Denver, CO.
- History of Soul Food, November 11, 2011, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO.
- History of Barbecue, November 7 & 9, 2011, Denver Eclectics, Denver, CO.
- Culinate Table Talk on southern cooking with me, Virginia Willis and Sandra Gutierrez, Thursday, October 6, 2011.
- “Hungry in the South” symposium keynote, September 17, 2011, Southern Food and Beverage Museum, New Orleans, LA.
- “Chicken and Waffles and the Ice Ages,” Mixed Tastes Lecture (with Kirk Johnson), Denver Museum of Contemporary Art, Feb. 11, 2011, Denver, CO.
- “Hot Sauce and Jewish Mysticism,” Mixed Tastes Lecture (with Rabbi Levi Brackman), Denver Museum of Contemporary Art, June 26, 2009, Denver, CO.
- “Black Chefs in the White House,” Jan. 20, 2009, Zingerman’s Roadhouse, Ann Arbor, MI.
- “Soda Pop and Death Rituals of Borneo,” Mixed Tastes Lecture (with Christina Kreps), Denver Museum of Contemporary Art, June 12, 2008, Denver, CO.
- “Soul Food and Existentialism,” Mixed Tastes Lecture (with Maria Talero), Denver Museum of Contemporary Art, August 9, 2007, Denver, CO.